Friday, July 13, 2012

Monday


The Monday after we sent out our letter for support was anxious and peaceful all in one. We could not wait to see what would happen but we also had so much peace that God was doing whatever needed to happen and so we just rested in that. It sounds cliché and I’ve always wondered how people actually rested in God, especially with all the worrying there was to do. Since we were powerless in this situation it was very easy to rest in Him. Sometimes I believe it’s knowing that you are not self sufficient that brings us the closest to God.

Immediately throughout the day we say our letter and blog posted and reposted all over facebook. This was the first instance that I was impressed with social media. It was like watching a tidal wave that continued to come and go. Soon it was passed out to people that we didn’t know and comments were made from those whom we were not acquainted with. Of course since it was our original post we could watch all of the traffic on it. Friends of friends of distant friends were offering up their prayers and I swear that Tyler and I felt every one of them. There is truly something unique about “when two or more come together in His name”. There is no other way to describe what we experienced other than we viewed in a tangible way the body of Christ mobilized and it was powerful.

Not long into the day I received a message from a girl I will call Becky. She lived across the country and was a friend of a friend of mine whom I had never actually met before. We were simply friends on facebook because of mutual interests. She asked me some questions about our heart for adoption and where we stood internationally. I tried my best to answer her honestly, that my heart had not changed about an international adoption, but that we were trying to care for all orphans, even if they were local. Not long after she replied back, “Ok. I have $3,000 I’d like to contribute towards whichever adoption you pursue”.



I burst into tears (which I did a lot that day) and replied,

“But you don’t know me..”



To which she replied, “The Lord knows you”.



I hope you can picture this conversation taking place in those tiny message bubbles that facebook gives you. Such a profound act of generosity straight from the heart of God, all typed up on facebook. It was like watching a movie.



            Many of my close friends called to let us know they were giving the agency what they could, even though it “wasn’t much”. During this time I thought the amount of money was not important at all. It seemed to me that everyone had a part to play who wanted to be part of God’s work and they were exactly where they needed to be. If they gave $5 than that is what they were supposed to do, from the beginning of time, and I was glad for it.

            Around 5pm the agency called us. They began by asking us what we wanted to do with the gap left in the money that we needed. “Nothing, we don’t have it,” we answered. At this point I was wondering if they would even let us adopt this boy, because they must think we were nuts. Who adopts this way? Then Isabelle, the case worker, reported that, “We have almost $6,000 here that showed up today. Why don’t we go until Wednesday night to try and get the rest.” We readily agreed, but I was disheartened. Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I was disheartened. I felt like this was one of those situations where everyone gets excited the first day but then when it doesn’t work out the excitement fades and then it all fizzles to a stop. My biggest concern Monday night was how to return everyone’s money. I was wondering why God would allow something to work this way when it could bring Him so much glory. This wasn’t the first time I had wondered that. By this time in my life I know better than to question it. Several amazing friends pointed out to me the profound hope in receiving two more days. “Good things happen on the third day” one said to me. “One third of the way there and two more days to go” another said. Yes, the third day.   “…and the third day I shall be perfected”. Luke 13:32.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment